SIGN UP FOR OUR EMAIL LIST TO GET DETAILED POLICY PROPOSALS UPDATES
For too long, the establishment delegates of the 45th District have failed to address the pressing needs of our neighbors by using the same tired policies that just don’t work for the people. That’s because for too long, they have represented special interests, not us. Look around you-- are you satisfied with the way things are going in East and Northeast Baltimore?
If you’re fed up with more of the same, vote to change the game on November 6th! Vote for Andy Ellis and Glenn Ross for House of Delegates! Sign up here to receive updates as we roll out policy planks that benefit you and not big money interests.
By bringing the power of our communities to Annapolis, we will challenge the bosses and insiders to enact real reforms that bring meaningful change to you.
First we will fight for issues that need to be in place NOW! These are issues that your current delegates promised to do but never delivered on. Why? Because the corporate donors and Annapolis leadership machine said "no!" Once the incumbents won the primary, they didn't think there was any consequence to them if they weren't accountable to you.
You will hear the machine and political insiders say that Greens have radical ideas and back unrealistic solutions-so don't vote for them. Not true! Andy and Glenn have listened to you and your neighbors in the 45th District to develop their platform.
YOUR ISSUES ARE OUR ISSUES
Andy and Glenn will fight to:
- Enact a $15 an hour minimum wage NOW: As cities, counties, and states around the country take action to raise the minimum wage, Baltimore is falling further and further behind. The 45th District has one of the highest rates of woman-headed households, and women are more likely to work unfair low wage jobs than men. The Mayor broke her election promise on $15/hour, bowing to the developers and corporations, and our establishment delegates failed to bail her out. Andy and Glenn will not back down until every Baltimorean earns at least $15/hr, pegged to rise as the cost of living increases.
- Clean up the many toxic waste sites poisoning East Baltimore: Glenn Ross has lead “Toxic Tours” of East Baltimore for years, educating college students and professional groups to the dangerous pollution in our community. As President of the McElderry Park Community Association, he worked really hard to secure a grant for over $900,000 from the Obama Administration. But he was never able to get funding to take folks from the neighborhood on his tours. Why? Because the companies that dumped the stuff and the politicians that helped cover it up don’t want you to know about it! Glenn and Andy will fight to create green jobs by tapping into Brownfield Superfund money to put you to work cleaning up your neighborhoods!
- Give the community control of the Baltimore Police Department: We all know that the BPD is just as out of control as crime is. The elected politicians of the 45th District think "lock ‘em up, throw away the key" mandatory minimums are the answer. They just keeping turning a blind eye to police misconduct. Andy and Glenn know that we will only have safe neighborhoods when our police force answers to us and there are economic alternatives to the hustle. We will fight to transform Maryland’s Law Enforcement Officer’s Bill of Rights-- the most regressive in the country--to make the BPD and its runaway budget accountable to you! Andy and Glenn will fight crime by fighting for economic justice, for restorative justice practices, and for direct community control over the police force.
- End the criminalization of poverty: eliminate unfair fines and remove criminal penalties for civil infractions: The State of Maryland, one of the richest states in the country, should not balance its checkbook on your back. Andy and Glenn will work to peel back regressive fines and instead push for the use of positive incentives. When fines are necessary for public nuisance issues, they should never be attached to criminal penalties which make it harder to get a job, go to school, or get a loan. This includes removing criminal penalties for MVA infractions and an end to debtor prisons.
- Protect seniors from home foreclosure! Everyone should have the right to a roof over their head, most of all our seniors on whose shoulders we stand. Glenn beat the foreclosure system when they came for his home in East Baltimore. He and Andy will fight to make sure our elders’ homes are safe from predatory lenders, water liens, and scammers.
- End the cash bail system! In 2018, the elected politicians from District 45 had a golden opportunity to end the abusive cash bail system. Instead, they chose to side with sleazy bail bondsmen who are cashing in on our neighbors’ misfortune, causing people to lose their jobs, apartments, and families often for crimes they are never convicted of. Why? Because Delegate Talmadge Branch has taken an incredible amount of money from the bail bond industry-- big checks! Andy and Glenn will never take a dime from the bail industry, and they’ll fight to make sure your neighbors never have to give them a dime either! They will work with progressives in Annapolis to ensure judges have alternatives to the discriminatory bail system and that no one goes to jail just because they are poor.
- Guarantee a job to every youth that wants one: Every politician will tell you that the youth are the future of our community. But generations of Baltimoreans have grown up in schools unworthy of them and streets unsafe for them. We need to hold District 45 politicians responsible for failing our youth! In contrast, Andy and Glenn have a proven track record of mentoring youth to achieve great success, from Debate League Championships to street corner interventions. We know that when given the opportunity, our youth can achieve greatness. That starts with a decent paying job for any youth who wants one. We will fight for a dedicated funding stream for YouthWorks, which currently has thousands more applicants than it can fill.
How will we bring the pressure necessary to make the Annapolis bosses work for us?
- Create a permanent District 45 Stakeholders coalition: Machine politicians survive by keeping communities in our district divided. Andy and Glenn have a proven track record of building diverse, powerful, equitable coalitions across the city and across the state. While working with three different mayoral administrations, Glenn established himself as a coalition builder. Glenn developed the Coalition for Beautiful Neighborhoods and, later, the Southeast Stakeholders Coalition. As Baltimore City Green Party Co-Chair, Andy brought in new faces and expanded the green coalition leading up to the 2016 Mayoral election. By 2018, as Maryland Green Party Co-Chair, Andy expanded the movement to Western Maryland, where single party Republican rule has hurt communities there as much as single party Democratic rule has hurt communities here. Together, Andy and Glenn will unite the many underappreciated heroes in the 45th District to demand justice from the Annapolis bosses and forge new alliances across Maryland.